Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Heavy Metal art

 I wanted to write this article to 1) show my admiration for digital art 2) to show a bit of amazing art by album cover artists.
  I can understand not liking Heavy metal music but the illustrations and work behind these album covers are amazing,I might even say insane.
  The first artist I want to talk about is Paul Romano,he's done artwork for metal bands such as :
  Death by Stereo, Animosity, Godflesh and Turmoil but the one I want to show today is for the band
Mastodon( a very good band by the way) his work it seems is part digital and I can't tell what the rest is
(I know,how unprofessional)

What I enjoy most about Paul Romano's work is that you can sense all his inspirations,
whether it be Russian,Indian or Japanese art and you can see a love for classical art as well as modern.
Maybe I'm wrong,but I find his work incredibly respectful and loving towards classical illustration.

The second artist I'd like to talk about is John Baizley
a painter and musician based in Savannah, Georgia. He is notable for his album cover and t-shirt art for bands including Kylesa, Pig Destroyer, Darkest Hours,Daughters, SkeletonwitchTorche, Cursed, Black Tusk, Kvelertak,Vitamin X, Flight of the Conchords and his own band, Baroness for which he is the singer and rhythm guitarist.
He has also begun doing art work for monthly guitar publication Guitar World.

His work reminds me of different things,one being Art nouveau,which is one of my favorite.









You can sense as well that his artwork is inspired by Pushead a.k.a Brian Schroeder who's illustrated for
bands such as Metallica and the Misfits.

Writing this article I was just thinking how album art has such diversity,I remember heavy metal bands such as
Cannibal Corpse making the most traumatising album cover art..




but the ones by Paul Romano and John Baizley I find quite fine and beautiful.
If the music is scary,loud or violent,doesn't mean the art has to be and maybe this shows us that there's more behind this music,for example Mastodon's album "Leviathan" has a great story behind it,"Moby Dick" I suggest you try it out..if it's not your type of music though,I totally understand!
here's a video from the band's album "Leviathan" the song is called
"Blood and Thunder"














    

1 comment: