Monday, January 10, 2011

George Dureau

   This blog wasn't made to make you feel like shit about art.The usual blogs or websites about art,are almost pretentious,patronizing about our personal culture..there's so much to learn about already in general,so I find it better to learn about what we really like(maybe that's why I'm ignorant ha ha)I made this blog to share some of the things I truly like (obviously)
    I love art but there's so much I just don't get,and I'm sure you feel the same.It can almost push us to hate art or think it's society's biggest ripoff.Art is what you want it to be.So if you're looking  for a pair of glasses into the art world..I suggest you try another shitty blog,site or actually move your ass to Florence or Paris.
    Another thing,I find it absolutely obnoxious these clans in the art world.People that are against contemporary art,people against classical art etc etc..I won't be imposing any opinions..

ok,now that I've finished my BS I want to tell you about George Dureau..
I have no idea how popular he's been in his lifetime but came across his work in a gay magazine (best way to find pictures of good looking men) and found his work quite similar to Joel Peter Witkin's..that I love more than anything,well as much as diet coke and cigs..and that's a lot.

George Dureau has worked his whole life in New Orleans,he's considered a "classical romantic"
he works in different medias:paintings,drawings sculptures and photography,what struck me most was his photography of men.

these are a few of his pictures:






If you haven't seen Witkin's work these are a few pictures that I find similar




It's understandable if you don't appreciate this photography,it can be dark,shocking,provocative or just plain depressing for certain people..
What I do enjoy about it though is the fact that the people in these pictures probably live difficult lives.People trying to look away from them in the street,see them as handicapped,lost or messed up and these photographers make them beautiful and immortalize them.
What I like as well is that there's no photoshop used in them..I feel as though photoshop and numeric photography has made photography too easy..I don't know anything about it but it's the feeling I get..

1 comment:

  1. Hi George. I am doubtful that you remember me. My partner, John Martin and I flew to New Orleans several years ago to attend an opening at a local gallery. Afterwards, you showed us around NO and we had a great time. We visited your studio and eventually purchased a huge painting. Something about Firenzia. It is about 10'x10' and we have enjoyed it all this time. I just saw this blog and wanted to thank you. We recently had special lights installed to showcase this wonderful piece. I am glad to see that you are still working and wish you the best. And by the way, you inspired me to take up painting and photography myself which I have been immersed in for several years now.

    ReplyDelete